Document management software is an application used to track, manage, and store documents and improve efficiency. Often it is part of a corporate strategy to reduce paper use and enhance document security. This blog post will discuss some questions organizations should ponder when considering document management software.
What is your budget for document management?
Depending on the complexity of the document management software, as well as the number of people who are using it, it could range anywhere from $10 to over $20,000 a month. Generally, it spans $25 to $200 per user per month.
While document management software can potentially pay for itself over time, thanks to reduced paper use and increased efficiency, businesses still need to assess if they have the near-term budget for the appropriate solution. The required investment is part of why organizations on average take 11 months to make a decision on implementing document management software.
When do you think you will make a decision on implementing document management software?
Source: Keypoint Intelligence-InfoTrends research
Other questions to consider
Companies contemplating a document management solution are encouraged to think about their current document infrastructure. How many documents, in addition to data, do they handle on a daily and weekly basis? Are they satisfied with the way the information is being managed? Are customers, suppliers, and other partners happy with the approach in place?
Other key questions include:
- What are your biggest document challenges?
- How secure are the documents and data you handle?
- What is the mix of print and digital in your organization, and how should this evolve?
- How much time does it take to find digital documents?
- How much time does it take to find hardcopy documents?
- What is your current document approval process, and how can it be improved upon?
- How do you ensure version control of documents?
- How often do you scan, and are scans text-searchable?
- How robust is your electronic document search capability?
- Is physical document storage a challenge for your company?